Sunday 16 December, 2007

Helmets - Boon or Bane !!


I got the idea for this entry a little while ago when I was driving home riding my 2 wheeler and wearing a helmet.
Recently, the TamilNadu Government passed a rule making it compulsary for 2 wheeler motorists to wear a helmet while driving. From then on, most 2 wheeler motorists (oh yes.. there are people who don't want to follow the rule too) are seen zipping on their bikes with their skulls protected with the helmet. There are even signs on the road that says 'Helmet or Hell-Met' ..
Though the helmet is useful, I feel it is cumbersome. My helmet feels like a tonne of bricks on my head. And if that is not enough, my nose or my head will pick up that precious time to itch, when Im driving with this bother on my head.
Another thing, I love to smell the trees when Im passing a woody lane (hard to find in Chennai). With the helmet and its visor on, I cant smell a thing.
But every situation has its pros and cons. The helmet has its positives too. For one, it keeps away the smell of smoke and dust. Whoo ... Chennai has become really polluted now. Smoke, petrol and diesel fumes.. Yuck .. One reason why I have given up driving.
Also, this smoke and gas fumes mess up my hair .. After a small trip in my bike, my hair will smell like it has been washed with petrol. Uggh !!! :(
Another advantage of the helmet -- It saves the trouble of having to keep your head covered when the hot sun beats down or the rain showers down ..
So I guess I ll have to live on with it. Concentrate on the benefits and try to forget the cons. :)
I have a better idea .. Get a car and forget 2 wheeler driving .. Lets see how that works out. :)

1 comment:

Suhas.P.S said...

Yeah...Though i manage to squeeze my little finger past the tight confinement of my helmet to satisfy an itch at times, i choose to either control or inhumanely ignore the irritating itch most of teh times...the already hot weather outside feels pleasant when compared to teh oven like environment inside the helmet...now i completely share the harrasment faced by a sandwich inside a toaster...i wouldnt bother wearing a helmet if it wasn't for the happy robbers-in-law who catch us for a hundred or two at the very sight of a helmet-lesshead... =(