Saturday 29 September, 2007

Homeless and Astray ! ! !


This is about a cute pup that I found near my house last week.
On Tuesday morning, as I was rushing to the bus stand, I heard a very tiny squeal. In my hurry to reach the bus stand before the bus arrived, I moved on. At the bus stand, the bus had not yet come and I had to wait.
The squeal came again and I turned to locate the source of the sound, and I was surprised at what I saw. A very tiny white puppy ( hardly 2 weeks old) was huddled on the outer steps of a house. The steps were also painted white and the puppy was hardly indistinguishable from the step.
As I watched, it ran down with its small baby-like steps and toddled on to the road. Fear gripped me as I saw it right in the middle of the road. Before I could do anything, a car came on. Thankfully nothing happened to the pup because the pup was in between the 4 wheels of the care as the car moved on.
Then a gang a boys came walking along, and seeing the pup, they carried it and placed it in the bushes in the far side of the road, away from the rushing traffic.
I contemplated carrying the pup to Blue Cross, but by the time I could decide, my bus came and I did not want to go late to office.
The whole day I was ridden with guilt, as to why did I not help out that poor pup. I was terrified that it would come under the wheels of a car. I just pray to God that it has found a better home or has reunited with its mommy dog.

2 comments:

Anu said...

hi preethi..nice to c u here...

Aswin Kini said...

Even i had the same experience in Chrompet. On one rainy Saturday night, i was riding my bicycle on the way to my house, i heard some strange squeals. When i looked around, i found a very tiny pup, soaked in the rain, coming towards me.
I felt sorry for the pup, and wanted to take him home badly, but what to do? Mom doesn't allow. So, i left the place with a heavy heart. Guess that just a good heart is not enough!