Monday 24 September, 2007

Oh How cruel can this Beast get !!



There is no animal in this world more cruel and brutal than Man. Man is perhaps the only beast ever alive to kill for pleasure. All other animals kill for food. You can very well walk past a well-fed lion and it will not as much lay a paw on you (unless of course, you seem a threat to it).

I am very much disturbed by a video I chanced upon today. The video was about how the poor furry animals are tortured to death just to take their furry skins off their backs. Is that the craze for furs, that you kill a helpless animal and take that right fully belongs to it?
Not just furs, but even Silk is a product of brutal animal torture. In a small research I did about silk, I discovered that silk cocoons are dropped in boiling water with the pupa still in it. The pupae are killed in such a way because if they are allowed to come out, then it would make a hole in the silk thread.
Sad the way this beast called man takes undue advantage of poor animals. Often all it is done in the name of Custom. Indian custom values silk a lot as much as the Westerners value fur. Many a time, the voices that are raised against these brutality are throttled and subdued.
I am sure I ll have no say against not wearing silk for my wedding. Again .. Custom !!
But there is something I can do. All my other clothes are cotton, or synthetic material. By refusing silk, I am contributing my part in preventing cruelty to animals. I hope many others do so too.

No comments: